[linux-lvm] Unable to create a physical volume on a whole disk

George Karaolides george.karaolides at planitis.net
Mon Apr 7 01:55:02 UTC 2003

Hi Jan,

> I would like to create a pv on a whole disk but pvcreate gives me the
> message that there is a "partition table" on the disk.

> gw:/dev# pvcreate /dev/hdb
> pvcreate -- device "/dev/hdb" has a partition table

I think what teh message from pvcreate means is that this is a device
with a partition table, and pvceate isn't supposed to be used on such
devices with partition tables, but only on partition-like devices.  I
think pvcreate doesn't care whether the partition table is valid or not;
it only cares about the type of device.

I would suggest that, to use the space on a whole disk as a physical
volume, you try:

- Making just one partition of the whole disk space, with fdisk or other
partitioning tool of your choice; that will normally be /dev/hdb1
- Making a physical volume in that: pvcreate /dev/hdb1

--
Best regards,