[linux-lvm] Swap on LVM - swapoff problem

Patrick Caulfield caulfield at sistina.com
Mon Apr 7 08:41:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 04:31:33PM +0300, George Karaolides wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>
> > Odd, it seems fine here. what version LVM are you using ?
>
> 1.0.4 on Debian GNU/Linux 3.0r1 "woody"
>
> Some machines have the Debian package from stable (version 1.0.4-4) and
> some the version from testing (version 1.0.4-6)

Actually, I'm more interested in the kernel LVM version. The tools have no
impact on how swappping works. Sorry I should have said. The first line of
/proc/lvm/global should tell you that.

> The problem is identical on all machines: swapoff does not work if the
> LVM swap device is listed in /etc/fstab, but works just fine if swap on
> the LVM swap device is started manually with swapon after the system
> starts.

Yes, I tried that. You should check that that when you do swapoff that the
device actually exists: and that the major/minor matches that of the device
when it was swapped on. I think /proc/swaps should tell you this.
--

patrick