[linux-lvm] Swap on LVM - swapoff problem

Patrick Caulfield caulfield at sistina.com
Mon Apr 7 09:22:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 05:10:26PM +0300, George Karaolides wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>
> > Actually, I'm more interested in the kernel LVM version. The tools
> > have no impact on how swappping works. Sorry I should have said. The
> > first line of /proc/lvm/global should tell you that.
>
> 2.4.18 machines:
>
> # cat /proc/lvm/global
> LVM module LVM version 1.0.1-rc4(ish)(03/10/2001)
>
> 2.4.20 machines:
>
> # cat /proc/lvm/global
> LVM module LVM version 1.0.5+(22/07/2002)

If it was just the 2.4.18 machines I would suggest you get a later LVM, but if
the 2.4.20 boxes do it too then that's obviously not going to help.

> > You should check that that when you do swapoff that the
> > device actually exists: and that the major/minor matches that of the
> > device when it was swapped on. I think /proc/swaps should tell you
> > this.
>
> I can't see anything about device major/minor nos. in /proc/swaps:
>
> # cat /proc/swaps
> Filename                        Type            Size    Used    Priority
> /dev/vg1/swap                   partition       1048568 0       -1
>
> Of course I can see the major/minor nos. if I list the device:
>
> # ls -l /dev/vg1/swap
> brw-rw----    1 root     disk      58,   1 Apr  5 22:28 /dev/vg1/swap
>
> So now I need to check if these are the same as when the device was
> swapped on.  But no info in /proc/swaps...

I think /proc/swaps works out the name from the major.minor so that's probably
right.

It could just be that the machine has not enough memory to hold all the
processes VM state., but I think it should return ENOMEM for that situation.

/me is baffled.
--

patrick