[linux-lvm] Re: LVM writes on raw disk of ATA RAID Mirror

Greg Freemyer freemyer at NorcrossGroup.com
Tue Apr 29 17:01:03 UTC 2003

 >>  Now y'all can tell me that the Promise ATA RAID cards suck and I
 >>  shouldn't use them, and I should get a hardware RAID card, and so on
 >>  (as I saw happened to the person who described this issue in October
 >>  2002; see
 >>  http://lists.sistina.com/pipermail/linux-lvm/2002-October/012508.html
 >>  and
 >>  http://lists.sistina.com/pipermail/linux-lvm/2002-October/012516.html).

 >>  And I'll happily agree with you, but for two small facts:
 >>  - the hardware RAID cards cost more than twice what the drives cost, and
 >>  they're 120GB IDE drives with large caches; let alone SCSI hardware
 >>  RAID (which also increases the cost of the disks a lot too);

Just thought I would point out that a 2-channel 3ware card is about the price
of a single 80GB drive.  (i.e. $130 US)

I love the 3-ware cards and they are not cost prohibitive in my opinion.  My
only problem is I wish the failure/rebuild process was more automated than it currently is.

Obviously, LVM and MD should still work together regardless.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer