[linux-lvm] Performance question

Jesse Molina jesse at opendreams.net
Fri Aug 1 20:57:01 UTC 2003

Hi!

With what you are doing;  probably not.

Why are you using LVM in the first place?  Sticking something between
your data and the physical device is probably only going to slow stuff
down.  You are already stripping with your RAID 0 controller.  Having
LVM strip is not going to do anything because LVM sees only one device.

This is like an analogy of making my car faster by putting a spoiler on
it.  LVM = features, not speed.  If you don't need LVMs features, get
rid of it!

If you want more speed, try solid state drives, tuning your controller
to stripe efficiently, adding controller cache, configuring Oracle to
use the raw storage device instead of an underlaying filesystem, or add
more drives to your array.

The obvious is the answer.

Remember that you can't fix it if you don't know what to fix.  If you
don't know exactly where your bottleneck is, you can't resolve it.

I really hope that data isn't important since you don't seem to have any
redundancy there.

Do some Bonnie++ on there and let us know how it goes if you try your
solution.

Have fun!  Good luck in your project.