[linux-lvm] lvcreate with a 52 drive volume

Alasdair G Kergon agk at uk.sistina.com
Fri Aug 15 15:32:02 UTC 2003

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 01:11:51PM -0700, markw at osdl.org wrote:
> # lvcreate -i52 -I4 -l450996 -n mydata data_volume
>   device-mapper ioctl cmd 9 failed: Invalid argument
>   Couldn't load device 'data_volume-mydata'.
>   Failed to activate new LV.

Mark, please would you enable the debug messages
as described in the docs,
viz. the following settings in lvm.conf:

  log {
          file="/tmp/lvm2.log"
	  level=7
	  activation=1
  }

then look at /tmp/lvm2.log after running the
problematic command?

> device-mapper: couldn't split parameters
> device-mapper: error adding target to table

The log file will show you the actual parameters
that were passed to device-mapper leading to
the error messages.

Please put the log file(s) somewhere on the web and
post URL(s) to the list - or mail the log file(s)
to me privately as a *compressed* attachment.

Alasdair
agk at uk.sistina.com