[linux-lvm] Repair inconsistent PV

Andreas Pakulat ap125 at informatik.uni-rostock.de
Sat Aug 16 10:47:02 UTC 2003

Hi,

yesterday I lost my / partition due to hardware problem. Now to reinstall
the system I had to reduce the size of my VG, i did that using the
KNOPPIX CD and first all went Ok. But during the Removal of one LV one
harddisk "crashed", had several read errors. I could fix this, as It was
due to a broken connection to the drive. But now the PV that was on that
drive is inconsisten:

root at tty2[/]# vgscan
vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
vgscan -- found inactive volume group "vgmatrix"
vgscan -- ERROR "pv_check_consistency_all_pv(): PE" volume group
"vgmatrix" is inconsistent
vgscan -- ERROR: unable to do a backup of volume group "vgmatrix"
vgscan -- ERROR "lvm_tab_vg_remove(): unlink" removing volume group
"vgmatrix" from "/etc/lvmtab"
vgscan -- "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d" successfully created
vgscan -- WARNING: This program does not do a VGDA backup of your volume
group
root at tty2[/]#

If i do a pvcreate -ff /dev/hdc2 the inconsistency is gone, but also the
metadata and as my / is also gone, I have no backup of the
Metadata. So the Question is, can I somehow repair the PV Metadata or am
I lost? It is also hard for me at the moment to get a Kernel with
device-mapper support, so using LVM2 is only the last option for me.

Please say if you need any additional Information, here is pvdisplay
of the problematic PV:

root at tty2[/]# pvdisplay -v /dev/hdc2
--- Physical volume ---
PV Name               /dev/hdc2
VG Name               vgmatrix
PV Size               5.84 GB [12241530 secs] / NOT usable 4.19 MB [LVM:
133 KB]
PV#                   2
PV Status             available
Allocatable           NO
Cur LV                2
PE Size (KByte)       4096
Total PE              1493
Free PE               444
Allocated PE          1049
PV UUID               v7FOLU-uCS4-ZD8R-2z6S-GIKR-RCbf-RI2Nax

Andreas

--
Wie man sein Kind nicht nennen sollte:
  Harry Bo