[linux-lvm] How to migrate data from one Hard Drive to a new one

Jon Bendtsen jon+lvm at silicide.dk
Sun Aug 31 04:27:01 UTC 2003

Luca Da Col wrote:

[cut]

> I finally decided to upgrade my old 6.5G HD to a new 120G HD; is the procedure described in
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/removeadisk.html  a safe way to migrate all my data
> from the former to the 120G? I mean, my case is slightly different from the one described
> because of /boot partition and LILO in the MBR...

yes, but if you are worried, you can do it like this:
mount the new "partition" (real or LV) to /mnt
cd /the_source, eg. /usr /var /home ...
find -xdev | cpio -pm /mnt
umount /mnt
repeat for the next source.

The process is described in the software raid howto.
Remember to edit the new /etc/fstab and new /etc/lilo.conf,
and run lilo with lilo -r /mnt

JonB