[linux-lvm] Dual Boot with LVM

Jord Tanner jord at indygecko.com
Mon Dec 1 15:41:02 UTC 2003

I posted a message on this, but no-one has an answer. I try again.

I dual boot my machine between RedHat 9 and Gentoo 1.4. Both use the
same PV, and share several LVs. In RedHat all operates as expected. In
Gentoo, the LVs are usable, but lvscan, lvcreate, etc give the following
error:

root at gecko root # lvscan
lvscan -- ERROR "pv_status_all_pv_of_vg(): no PV" getting status of
volume  group "Volume00"

Running pvscan in Gentoo shows the PV to be inactive:

root at gecko root # pvscan
pvscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2" of VG
"Volume00" [53.71 GB / 33.32 GB free]
pvscan -- total: 1 [53.71 GB] / in use: 1 [53.71 GB] / in no VG: 0 [0]

Yet, the LVs can be mounted without trouble.

What can I do to correct this?

--
Jord Tanner <jord at indygecko.com>