[linux-lvm] Is there a maximum for LV?

Alasdair G Kergon agk at uk.sistina.com
Tue Dec 9 16:09:01 UTC 2003

> > How I'm testing LVM2. The field "MAX LV Size" is not there anymore. Is this means that LV doesn't have a maximum?
Correct: Provided you use the new "lvm2" metadata format, you're
limited only by disk space and the maximum device size that your kernel
will support.

> >From vgcreate(8):
> -s, --physicalextentsize PhysicalExtentSize[kKmMgGtT]

> So it seems you have a 255 GiB limit on LV sizes with your LVM2 setup.
That section now only applies to PVs in "lvm1" format.
It needs updating...

For tool performance reasons it's still a good idea to use large
physical extent sizes for large volume groups.  (This will get
fixed eventually.)

Alasdair
agk at uk.sistina.com