[linux-lvm] lvm2 device mapper

Salil Taneja, Noida salilt at noida.hcltech.com
Wed Dec 10 07:58:04 UTC 2003

hi,

I am using LVM2 , version -2.00.07 with device mapper library -1.00.07 on
2.6.0 test-9 kernel

i am facing these problems while doing so : -

1.) i get a warning message
    " /dev/mapper/control : open failed : No such file or directory .
       Is device mapper mapped to kernel ? "

To overcome this problem I started using LVM2 commands   with --driverloaded
n option .

now the commands execute but i face another problem :-
2.) when using lvcreate or vgcreate, the command executes but no node entry
is created  in the /dev/ directory
For eg :

I used the following command :
    lvcreate < options > -n lvm1 vg1 --driverloaded n

to verify this i used lvdisplay that gives the path of lvm1 as /dev/vg1/lvm1
; but when i check in /dev/ directory there is no entry corresponding to vg1
or lvm1 .

Why isnt there any node corresoponding to vg1 or lvm1 in /dev/ ?  any
clues...?????

Please suggest some nice solutions .

Thanks and Regards,
Salil Taneja