[linux-lvm] determing lvm support

Luca Berra bluca at comedia.it
Sat Dec 20 07:37:01 UTC 2003

On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 12:30:23PM +0000, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
>On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 04:47:18PM -0800, Rich Turner wrote:
>> lvm2:
>> look for "vgcreate" command and
>Better to check for the new 'lvm' base command: other commands are
>links to it: check that running 'lvm version' produces complete output.
>That will also confirm that device-mapper is available in the live
>kernel and that /dev/mapper/control is set up correctly.
>(See device-mapper/scripts/devmap_mknod.sh)

Besides that is there any way to reliably check if dm is loaded from a
c program, besides calling dm_task_run(), which is noisy if the driver
is not loaded? I don't want the user to see an error if she's not
running device-mapper.
it the moment i try to open dm_dir()/control, is that ok?

L.

Luca Berra -- bluca at comedia.it
        Communication Media & Services S.r.l.
 /"\