[linux-lvm] 2.4 LVM1 devfs -> 2.6.0 LVM2 devfs

Patrick Caulfield caulfield at sistina.com
Sat Dec 20 09:58:01 UTC 2003

On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 11:10:42AM +0100, Francis SOUYRI wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>
> I have a full ("/" is also a logical volume) LVM1 2.4 devfs system, and
> I want to test the LVM2 2.6 devfs kernel.
>
> I want to have the possibility to boot the 2.4 or the 2.6 kernel with
> the same filesystems.
>
> You say "lvm-common will detect whether you have device-mapper or LVM1
> in the kernel and use the appropriate LVM tools". What is lvm-common ?
> And if lvm-common can use the appropriate LVM tools how to install the
> LVM1 and LVM2 tools in the same filesystem ("same" binaries)

lvm-common is the Debian package that switches between LVM versions on the
same system. If you install the "lvm10" or "lvm2" packages then this will get
installed by default.

The Debian LVM binaries get installded lib /lib/lvm-<version> and lvm-common
decides at run-tim which one is the most appropriate to use.

Of course you must use the Debian packages to get this, if you build your own
tools from source then you're on your own :) (building your own kernels is fine
though)
--

patrick