[linux-lvm] LVM rootfs and cramfs as ramdisk

Francis SOUYRI francis.souyri at wanadoo.fr
Tue Feb 4 00:02:02 UTC 2003

Hi Jan,

On my system lvm driver is in the kernel (no module).

/#!/bin/sh

I mount /etc with a tmpfs to have /etc in rw (I do not need the
"/etc/fstab").

mount -t tmpfs none /etc

Now I mount /proc because "vgscan" need to access "/proc/partitions" (I
do not need the "/etc/fstab").

mount -t proc none /proc

Finaly I can scan for the volume groups and activate these volume groups.

echo "Scanning for Volume Groups..."
/sbin/vgscan
echo "Activating Volume Groups"
/sbin/vgchange -a y

I umount /proc and /etc because, I do not need now the "/etc" (you need
to do a vgscan in the startup script of your system to update the
"/etc/lvm*" files in the real "/etc"), and the kernel after the mount of
the real / mount the /proc.

umount /proc
umount /etc

I do not need any files in the "/etc" I only need to create temporaries
files with vgscan.

Best regards.

Francis