[linux-lvm] LVM 1.0.1 to LVM2 upgrade path

Dossy dossy at panoptic.com
Fri Feb 7 17:45:04 UTC 2003

On 2003.02.07, Heinz J . Mauelshagen <mauelshagen at sistina.com> wrote:

> If this is production, you want to upgrade to LVM 1.0.6 because LVM2
> is in beta still. [...]  The only major feature missing in LVM2 is
> 'pvmove' which we are working on right now.

Thanks.  This is exactly the kind of detail I was looking for.

> It supports the LVM1 metadata (IOW: you can install it and use your
> volume groups created with LVM1).

So, in order to upgrade to LVM2 there's no data conversion necessary, if
I understand you correctly.  That's very good news.

> You should give LVM2 a try on some test system please.

I might play around with it on my laptop (which runs Linux under VMware)
-- this way, if anything goes wrong, I just lose a virtual disk and not
real data.  :-)

(VMware is great for "experimenting" with filesystem code.  I haven't
actually experimented with LVM under VMware yet, though.  It'll be
interesting ...)

Thanks for your time, Heinz.  I appreciate it.

-- Dossy

Dossy Shiobara                       mail: dossy at panoptic.com