[linux-lvm] Sharing Logical Volumes via NFS on Redhat 8.0

Luca Berra bluca at comedia.it
Tue Feb 18 02:28:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 03:04:48AM +0000, DJ TweeQ wrote:
>(repost):
>
>Regarding Sharing LVM LV's via NFS on Redhat 8.0...ie. mounting an LV from
>another machine while already having a LV on the same machine. Is it ok or
>not ok? I was talking to a buddy and he doesn't think it's a problem or an
>issue but...

you are making a lot of confusion.
with nfs/samba you share a filesystem regardless of where it is located.
(i consider 'share' to be a horrible term for exporting/mounting a
remote filesystem)

yes you can do that.

>the current documentation on Sistina's site states that sharing LV's is
>dangerous unless it's a SCSI or Fibre Storage Device?...and not only that
>...adminisitration can only be done on one node? (is it really possible to
>create/resize lv's from one node/machine to another (that has an LV or was
>it meant to mean that it's only possible on cluster aware network storage
>devices)??? ....

that part does not refer to nfs/samba it says that if you want to
connect two different computers to the same hard disk .....

L.

Luca Berra -- bluca at comedia.it
        Communication Media & Services S.r.l.
 /"\