[linux-lvm] Sharing Logical Volumes via NFS on Redhat 8.0

Greg Freemyer freemyer at NorcrossGroup.com
Tue Feb 18 16:28:13 UTC 2003

DJ,

Truly sharing LVs requires a FileSystem that understands shared physical drives (often called a Cluster File System of CFS).  Or you must have someway to enforce that only one computer (node) at a time owns the LV (i.e. often used in High Availability Clusters).

For instance, with the OpenGFS CFS you can take a drive put it into a firewire chassis, then connect the firewire to 2 computers.

Now run OpenGFS on both computers and it will allow both computers direct firewire access to the drive.  (It takes a lot of cache coherency programming to make this work.)

Once you have that, you can export the OpenGFS FS via either Samba or NFS.

Unfortunately, OpenGFS does not work with LVM.  (Sistina sells GFS, but I don't know if it talks to LVM either.)

There is discussion that OpenGFS sub-package "pool" should be replaced with Data Mapper. I hope they do that, because the OpenGFS pool driver does not support software RAID, and a disk failure is not survivable unless you have hardware RAID.  If they were using Data Mapper, in theory a shared software RAID array could be setup.

Also, the EVMS project (from IBM) is working on userland admin tools for data mapper that will allow LVs on shared disks to be administered from either node.  i.e. cluster enabled.

The EVMS project is assuming you have the soon to be release Heartbeat 1.0.1 package installed and an operational cluster setup.

I don't know the details, but I_hope_ the EVMS cluster support will include a way to enforce exclusive ownership of the shared LV until a failover occurs.

Greg Freemyer