[linux-lvm] disk naming

Matt Schillinger mschilli at vss.fsi.com
Fri Jan 3 10:59:02 UTC 2003

If i'm NOT using devfs, can i reliably (assuming that disks are on the
same scsi id/lun/host channel) use lvm?

Scenario:

LV is created with device /dev/sdd, which is on host channel 2

Machine is shutdown, and a new raid is connected on host channel 1, with
one disk.

Machine is restarted, and the 1 disk on the host channel 1 raid takes
/dev/sdd. The original disk is now /dev/sde.

Will LVM find the correct disk?

Matt Schillinger
mschilli at vss.fsi.com