[linux-lvm] Two drives with the same UUID

Fabian Herschel fabian.herschel at suse.de
Mon Jan 13 05:05:02 UTC 2003

On Friday 10 January 2003 22:38, lvm at interlinx.bc.ca wrote:
> If I had a system with a functional LVM configuration (1.0.6ish) and I
> were to "duplicate" the drive in it (i.e. dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb)
> and then try to boot that system (with both drives installed and
> functional), what would happen?
>
> Of course, because I am asking, I have tried it.  :-)  During boot LVM
> failed to find any logical volumes.  Is this expected?  It's not
> surprising mind you, but I wonder how it was designed to deal with
> this situation.

Sorry, but this is a normal reaction of the logical volume manager. Why?
Each "normal" volume manager uses a special part of the disk device (or a
special part of a partition) to identify the physical media. If you copy the
complete disk, you also copy this unique identifier. So LVM get confused
to find a media twice.

Best regards
Fabian Herschel

> b.

<Fabian.Herschel at suse.de>
SuSE Linux AG * Mergenthalerallee 45-47 * D-65760 Eschborn
Tel: +49-6196-50951-23 * Fax: +49-6196-409-607
http://www.suse.de * Alice Homepage: http://www.suse.de/~fabian