[linux-lvm] LVM on H/W RAID5s ?

Ajay Shekhawat ajay at cedar.buffalo.edu
Tue Jan 21 15:30:02 UTC 2003

I'm trying to combine two H/W RAID5 arrays (6 disks each on a ICP-Vortex
8643RZN controller) into 1 device using LVM, with XFS as the filesystem.
Unfortunately, I'm getting terrible read rates (I'm doing my own benchmarking,
with 1 process creating files of about 400K each, and another process
reading and deleting the files). Just an 'ls' in a directory with
1000 files takes forever. A stat+unlink call in perl takes 1sec.

Are there any 'gotchas' with this sort of a setup?

The RAID5 partitions themselves work pretty OK by themselves.

The hardware:
	- dual Xeon 2.0GHz w/ 2GB memory
	- ICP Vortex 8643RZN card
	- 73GB Fuji 10KRPM disks, 14 of them on a controller.

Any tips, pointers, etc. would be appreciated.

Ajay