[linux-lvm] Installing LVM on s/390 redhat 7.2 2.4.7-39

jrelist at ntlworld.com jrelist at ntlworld.com
Thu Jan 23 08:32:01 UTC 2003

Hi

I'm wondering has anybody been able to install LVM onto s/390 Redhat Linux 7.2 ? I have kernel 2.4.7-39 running and the rpm for lvm 1.0.3. is part of the build, but not the lvm-mod.o module.

I've attempted rebuilding the kernel from source with patches etc. from versions 1.0.3 and 1.0.6 following the instructions from sistina and redhat (including enabling lvm support !) but I always fall at the final hurdle, when doing the make_install :

---------------------------------------
cd /lib/modules/2.4.9-37lvm; \
mkdir -p pcmcia; \
find kernel -path '*/pcmcia/*' -name '*.o' | xargs -i -r ln -sf ../{} pcmcia
if [ -r System.map ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F System.map  2.4.9-37lvm; fi
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.9-37lvm/kernel/drivers/md/lvm
-mod.o
depmod:         alloc_kiovec
depmod:         free_kiovec
make: *** [_modinst_post] Error 1
[root at rother-8 linux]#

If anyone can help me, I'd be grateful. I'm an os/390 guy, this is my first dive into the Linux pool and so far I'm enjoying it !

Thanks in advance

John Ellis
UK