[linux-lvm] LVM 1.0.7, kernel 2.4.21 and snapshots over ext3 filesystem

Alberto Picon Couselo albertopicon at asociacion-ser.org
Wed Jul 2 08:05:02 UTC 2003

Wolfgang, thank you very, very much for your advice.

As you told me, I've downloaded "fresh" copies of Linux 2.4.21 kernel, LVM
1.0.7 and linux-2.4.21-VFS-lock.patch (at
http://evms.sourceforge.net/patches/1.2.1/2.4.21/).

Following your instructions, I generated and patched the kernel using
lvm-1.0.7-2.4.21.patch. After that, I tried to patch the kernel using
linux-2.4.21-VFS-lock.patch and I received an error message from patch
program requiring me a file path to patch evms.c source file. I do not
have installed evms package, so I decided to skip that patch, and continue
patching lvm module and I recompiled the whole kernel using my custom
configuration (make menuconfig; Load configuration option...).

Now, I'm able to create a snapshot and mount it, but I receive a strange
warning message (even if I mount it readonly):

$~# mount -t ext3 -r /dev/storage/snap /mnt/temporal/
Can't write to read-only device 3a:04
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
Can't write to read-only device 3a:04

Anyway, the snapshot is mounted and it's visible... So, it seems to
work... What's your opinion about this?

Thanks a lot for you help and advice,
Alberto Picon

--