[linux-lvm] telling LVM it's not hda8 anymore but now it's hda7

Martin Milner martin at newdomain.nl
Tue Jul 8 03:45:02 UTC 2003

I am such a noob. I deleted a partition. I had /dev/hda8 in an lvm volume
but i deleted a lower partition then rebooted. Now i got a kernel panic
because my /dev/hda9 (my / ) had gone. Running fdisk and fixing the
partition table nicely made my old /dev/hda9 to /dev/hda8 (and my hda8 was now hda7). After some
fumbling around with grub i got it to boot again and most of my installation
is running again. Except for my LVM stuff

I need to tell LVM that there no longer is a /dev/hda8, that it is now
/dev/hda7. Without losing my data.

Anyone?