[linux-lvm] Multiple Path possible with LVM ?

Lars Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Tue Jul 8 19:01:02 UTC 2003

Hi!

> Just put your lvm volume on an md multipath device.  Note
> that these are not loadbalanced paths in stock kernels, just
> failover paths.

Well, in evms 2.1, with 2.4.21 and the md-multipath, I am offered
a load-balanced multipath configuration. However, as I currently
have the expensive emc module mentioned in the firt mail ;-), I
didn't really try this.

If you want to have load balancing, just divide each raidset into
two luns / "devices", and access each raidset via two paths by this
configuration. If you put an lvm-stripeset over those two luns,
you get a "load-balanced" access to your raidset over both channels.

I am currently doing tests with these configurations, but I have moved
to evms with our new fileserver because of some cluster functionality
in the 2.x-releases of evms. We have shared storage between two nodes,
and while you can do this with lvm, it is AFAIK a bit dangerous because
you must make sure that one nodes commits an vgscan if the other one
changed the lvm configuration.

Good luck, CU Lars.