[linux-lvm] Problems with LVM

Petro petro at corp.vendio.com
Fri Jul 11 19:02:01 UTC 2003

Hello again.

I'm having a problem with LVM, and I'm really, really hoping you won't
tell me it's because of:

# CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM is not set
CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y
# CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G is not set
CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y
CONFIG_HIGHIO=y

(linux kernel 2.4.21, lvm 1.0.7 stuff installed)

I've got 8 boxes with 4 gig of memory, and 6 200 gig drives in a raid 0
setup, and I need to use LVM+Snapshots.

I can setup and create a 1.09T logical volume, but when I go to create a
snaphot, I get:

lvcreate -- INFO: using default snapshot chunk size of 64 KB for "/dev/vg0/test"
lvcreate -- ERROR "Cannot allocate memory" creating VGDA for "/dev/vg0/test" in kernel

Now, in reading past posts there is some talk of how having "high
memory" turned on will cause problems with snapshots.

The problem is that on these machines I *need* 4 gig of memory, and I
*need* snapshots.

Help?

--- Physical volume ---
PV Name               /dev/sda
VG Name               vg0
PV Size               1.09 TB [2344319232 secs] / NOT usable 32.31 MB [LVM: 267 KB]
PV#                   1
PV Status             available
Allocatable           yes
Cur LV                1
PE Size (KByte)       32768
Total PE              35770
Free PE               570
Allocated PE          35200
PV UUID               LyEPH1-pq2I-D022-v5c9-98rp-n7Ff-4LnNKL

--- Volume group ---
VG Name               vg0
VG Access             read/write
VG Status             available/resizable
VG #                  0
MAX LV                256
Cur LV                1
Open LV               1
MAX LV Size           2 TB
Max PV                256
Cur PV                1
Act PV                1
VG Size               1.09 TB
PE Size               32 MB
Total PE              35770
Alloc PE / Size       36032 / 1.10 TB
Free  PE / Size       4294967034 / 131071.99 TB
VG UUID               KciSkB-xbr8-22RM-zmke-6A69-6BEM-xLWMzv

--- Logical volume ---
LV Name                /dev/vg0/lv0
VG Name                vg0
LV Write Access        read/write
LV Status              available
LV #                   1
# open                 1
LV Size                1.07 TB
Current LE             35200
Allocated LE           35200
Allocation             next free
Read ahead sectors     1024
Block device           58:0

   procs                      memory    swap          io     system         cpu
 r  b  w   swpd   free   buff  cache  si  so    bi    bo   in    cs  us  sy  id
 0  0  0      0 3949704   1648  26104   0   0     3     2   27     5   0   0 100

--
"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray,
Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right