[linux-lvm] LVM recovery

Melinda Taylor melinda at phys.unsw.edu.au
Wed Jul 16 23:25:02 UTC 2003

Ok I am now getting somewhere with this:

I reinstalled LVM (but I am not sure what version I was running I think
it was 1.0.5 - will this make a difference?)

"pvscan" told me remaining LV and the VG they belong to:

pvscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/sdc1" of VG "vg02" [9.85 GB / 0 free]
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/sdc2"  is associated to unknown VG "vg01"
(run vgscan)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/sdd1" of VG "vg02" [19.54 GB / 0 free]
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/sdd2"  is associated to unknown VG "vg01"
(run vgscan)
pvscan -- total: 4 [64.35 GB] / in use: 4 [64.35 GB] / in no VG: 0 [0]

vg02 was comprised of /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdd1 which was /sw and /tmp so
it can be rebuilt as sdc and sdd both still exist

I tried to rebuild it: vgimport vg02 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdd1

and recieved the error:

vgimport -- error: physical volume "dev/sdc1" doesn't belong to exported
volume group

So I tried:

vgimport -f vg02 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdd1
vgimport -- physical volumes "/dev/sdd1" and "/dev/sdc1" are in
different volume groups

Run vgscan:

[root at astro melinda]# /sbin/vgscan
vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
vgscan -- found inactive volume group "vg02"
vgscan -- ERROR "vg_read_with_pv_and_lv(): current PV" can't get data of
volume group "vg01" from physical volume(s)
vgscan -- "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d" successfully created
vgscan -- WARNING: This program does not do a VGDA backup of your volume
groups

Obviously vg01 is going to be the biggest problem but as both lv's from
vg02 still exist - how do I make it active?

I then tried to mount it but it creates an error: /dev/vg02/lv02 is not
a valid block device but it is there. So I am getting somewhere now at
least but I presume I need to make everything active.

Thanks,

melinda