[linux-lvm] LVM recovery

Melinda Taylor melinda at phys.unsw.edu.au
Sun Jul 20 21:00:02 UTC 2003

Ok I have installed LVM2 with readline support and I tried:

lvm> vgchange --partial -a y
  Partial mode. Incomplete volume groups will be activated read-only.
  2 PV(s) found for VG vg01: expected 4
  Logical volume (lv02) contains an incomplete mapping table.
  2 PV(s) found for VG vg01: expected 4
  Logical volume (lv02) contains an incomplete mapping table.
  2 PV(s) found for VG vg01: expected 4
  Logical volume (lv02) contains an incomplete mapping table.
  2 PV(s) found for VG vg01: expected 4
  Logical volume (lv02) contains an incomplete mapping table.
  2 PV(s) found for VG vg01: expected 4
  Logical volume (lv02) contains an incomplete mapping table.
  2 PV(s) found for VG vg01: expected 4
  Logical volume (lv02) contains an incomplete mapping table.
  2 PV(s) found for VG vg01: expected 4
  Logical volume (lv02) contains an incomplete mapping table.
  2 PV(s) found for VG vg01: expected 4
  Logical volume (lv02) contains an incomplete mapping table.
  2 PV(s) found for VG vg01: expected 4
  Logical volume (lv02) contains an incomplete mapping table.
  4 logical volume(s) in volume group "vg01" now active
  2 logical volume(s) in volume group "vg02" now active

I then tried to mount my VG with the missing PV's (VG01) with the line

[root at astro root]# mount -o ro /dev/vg01/lv03 /home2
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/vg01/lv03,
       or too many mounted file systems

and I see the following in /var/log/messages:

Jul 21 11:53:48 astro kernel: EXT3-fs: INFO: recovery required on readonly
filesystem.
Jul 21 11:53:48 astro kernel: EXT3-fs: write access unavailable, cannot proceed.
Jul 21 11:53:48 astro kernel: EXT2-fs: device-mapper(254,4): couldn't mount
because of unsupported optional features (4).

Anyone have any ideas on this one? I am getting closer I guess. I just want to
grab the data off the remaining 2 LV if possible.

Many Thanks,

melinda