[linux-lvm] Help : pvmove -- not enough free/allocatable physical extents

Nils Juergens nils at muon.de
Tue Jul 22 12:22:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, 22.07.03, kiran dalvi <kiran_bd at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I haved created volume group using 3 partitions on my machine
> (/dev/hda7,/dev/hda8,/dev/hda9).All the partions are of same size 200
> MB.Then
> I have created stripped logical volume on 3 partitions using following
> command.
>
> #lvcreate -i3 -I4 -l24 -nmy_stripped_lv1 my_volume_group
>
> I have also tried extending logical volume and shrinking logical volume. All
> this worked fine for me.
>
> Now I tried pvmove command.
>
>        #pvmove /dev/hda9
>
> But it will be giving following error message

[snipped]

My guess is that lvm wont move your pe's to one of the other partitions
because the lv is striped across three different partitions and pvmoving one
of the stripes to a partition with another stripe already on it would defy
the purpose of multi-striped lvs.

So the error message is a bit missleading but still correct. Lvm has nowhere
to move the pe's from /dev/hda9 to, because it tries to keep the lv across
three different partitions.

cya,

Nils

--
Nils Juergens  | nils at muon.de | icq 7090774
Having problems sending big files over the net?