[linux-lvm] redhat 8 booting problem: Message=dropping to shell command
abs1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jul 23 08:31:01 UTC 2003
Having problems booting RH8, after creating a logical volume.
Bootup goes normally till it gets to displaying message = dropping you
to a shell command.
The system already had working lv's, that were visible with df -h.
They remained mounted after rebooting. Appropriate entries for them
were found in /etc/fstab.
Below is what was attempted:
1. LV created & formatted with mke2fs -j /dev/vg1/varlv
2. Mounted: mount /dev/vg1/varlv /var
3. Checked: df -h. Seen to be mounted.
4. After reboot, did, df -h Not mounted now.
5. edited /etc/fstab to include the line for /dev/vg1/varlv:
/dev/vg1/varlv /var ext3 defaults 1 2
Got to the point in bootup where message = dropping you to a shell
7. Typed root password and hit enter.
8. Repeated message: Init d:x respawning too fast, disabling for 5
I can see the message=dropping you to a shell command appears in
rc.sysinit. I understand that ext3 is handled by initrd ram disk.
Help much appreciated
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the linux-lvm