SV: [linux-lvm] Need to remove broken hdd, and need to move the stuff i can from the broken disk

Alasdair G Kergon agk at uk.sistina.com
Sun Jul 27 16:57:02 UTC 2003

On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 11:35:24PM +0200, ^YosH^ wrote:
> Seems I don’t have that backup dir, don’t even have a /etc/lvm dir...

That means you must be using LVM1.

Try the 'pvdata' command (see man page for options) to find out what's
on a particular PV.

[For people reading this in the list archives, the LVM2 command to see
the layout is lvdisplay --maps]

> I have been trying to move stuff of the lvm too to free som space, but
> the drive hangs everytime there is a dir that’s located on the crashed
> disk...

Another option:
    An fsck (not while fs is mounted) with the badblocks option?  [-c]

But if the whole disk is gone, the best option is likely to be LVM2's
partial mode (see list archives).

Alasdair