[linux-lvm] snapshots+highmem+'md raid5'

Dale J. Stephenson dalestephenson at mac.com
Fri Jun 13 15:59:01 UTC 2003

On Thursday, June 12, 2003, at 07:41  AM, Heinz J . Mauelshagen wrote:

> Anyone out there using MD RAID5 as physical volumes, high memory
> enabled
> (> 960m of physical memory) and snapshots under load successfully ?

It depends on your definition of successful.  I'm using 2.4.18 with
HIGHMEM and RAID 5 physical volumes, (and my chaining snapshot patch).
Existing snapshots seem to work OK under load, but I have trouble
creating the snapshots under load consistently.  My problems are with
xfs_fs_freeze(), xfs's fsync_dev_lockfs implementation.

I have similar problems with 2.4.19.  I've run with 2.4.20, but not
under load.  Haven't tried 2.4.21 yet.

Dale J. Stephenson
dalestephenson at mac.com