[linux-lvm] (no subject)

Howard Clifford howardclifford at cablespeed.com
Sun Jun 29 11:10:02 UTC 2003

I built a 7 disk vg and put 1 lv on it.  I do not want to mount a file
system.
I just want to write directly to the disk device, /dev/vg1/vol1.

My write performance has an odd behavior.
If after booting I write to the volume I get roughly 175MB/sec.
If after booting I do a mke2fs on the volume, mount it, umount it, then
write to the volume I get roughly 230 MB/sec.

Any ideas?  How can I get top speed without first mounting then
umounting the volume?
By the way, I tried binding a raw device to the lv and got very bad
performance; around 80 MB/sec.  Would that be expected?

(I'm using redhat 9.0 -> lvm-1.0.3-12)

Thanks...