[linux-lvm] Accessing VG in multiboot environment

Goetz Bock bock at blacknet.de
Mon Mar 3 04:53:01 UTC 2003

On Mon, Mar 03 '03 at 11:01, Thomas Gebhardt wrote:
> I'd like to install several linux distributions on one disk
> in a multiboot environment, each of them accessing the data
> in a LVM 1.x volume group.
I did that with TSL1.5, TSL2.0 and RH8.0 on one box:

- partition harddrive:
    hda1: 256M  ext2 /boot
    hda2: 2G    ext2 /  # see below
    hda3: rest  LVM

- than I install TSL1.5 into hda2
- install the LVM tools
- pvcreate hda3
- vgcreate vg00 hda3
- lvcreate -n tsl15root -L 1G vg00
- move tsl1.5 into tsl15root
- fix initrd (I'v a special initrd that activates LVM/MD and comes with
  a busybox based rescue system)
- fix lilo
- shutdown, reboot new setup make sure it works

- install TSL2.0 into hda2
- install lvmtools
- vgscan
- vgchange -a y
- lvcreate -n tsl20root -L 1G vg00
- move tsl2.0 into tsl20root
- fix initrd
- fix lilo
- shutdown, reboot, test

- install TH80 into hda2
- install lvmtoold
- vgscan
- vgchange -a y
- lvcreate -n rh80root -L 1G vg00
- move rh80 into rh80root
- fix initrd
- fix lilo
- shutdown, reboot, test

quite simple. boot gets a little bit messy, but I like to have /boot on
a primary partition and not on LVM.
--
Goetz Bock       (c) 2003 as     blacknet.de - Munich - Germany   /"\
IT Consultant    GNU FDL 1.1    secure mobile Linux everNETting   \ /