[linux-lvm] LVM and transferring filesystem

Miguel González Castaños mgc at tid.es
Thu Mar 6 05:28:02 UTC 2003

dear all,

 I am installing a redhat 7.3 linux box with X-Window.

 I have installed LVM splitting the system with the following scheme:

 /boot and / are installed each in different non-LVM partitions.

 LVM volumes:

 /usr , /var/ , /tmp

 I have noticed that when I mount the filesystem using the LVM volumes
my X-Windows server doesnt work, but when I deactivate the LVM volumes
using the original configuration stored in the original / partition
(which still have the original /var, /tmp, /usr partitions) then
X-Window works perfectly.

 Then I assume that I havent transferred the filesystem well.

 I use from / the following command from the LVM howtos:

 tar cplf - -C var .|tar xvlf - -C /mnt/var

 and the same thing for the rest of partitions.

 Any suggestion?

 Many thanks in advance

 Miguel