[linux-lvm] Max storage size per system

Greg Freemyer freemyer at NorcrossGroup.com
Fri Mar 7 11:40:02 UTC 2003

>>  I prefer RAID 1 (or RAID 10), too, but sometimes one has to use RAID 5.
>>  A common strategy is to put a higher number of hot spare drives in one
>>  system. Another (somewhat newer) strategy is to use two rotating parity
>>  drives per RAID set.

Can the XPs do that?

It would be really nice because one of the short comings of RAID 5 is the window of vulnerability during the rebuild time.

I have heard it can take as long as a week rebuild a large RAID 5 with heavy ongoing disk access.

(That might just be EMC propaganda, I have never seen it take that long).

EMC has what they call Parity Raid.  I don't understand it, but they claim it is faster and more robust than RAID 5.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer