[linux-lvm] lvm and md

Peter Yao peter at exavio.com.cn
Sun Mar 9 19:35:01 UTC 2003

Jon Bendtsen wrote:
> Peter Yao wrote:
>
>>Should we build lvm volumns on top of soft raid(md) or build md on top
>>of lvm volumns?
>>I prefer to build md on top of lvm volumns because lvm can hide the
>>hardware details from md. Just want to know how do you think about this.
>>Or any URLs? Thanks.
>

> why would you need to hide the hardware details from md ?
I am using some hot-plugging disks and their device number may change
after reboot. For example, if i build md with /dev/sda and /dev/sdb,
after reboot md may cannot start because the two disks' device name
change to /dev/sdc and /dev/sdd. If i build md on top of lvm this
problem is avoided. Can you give me some advice for this issue?

> The way i do it is to md 2 disks together into a pair, and
> then pvcreate it and add it to my VG. That way i can get
> more and more disks into the system. I have thought about
> creating 2 VG's, and then run md ontop of that, but it's more
> work, as you would have to resize 2 LV's, and besides, a harddisk
> failure might trash one of your VG's. Meaning more repair work.
>

> JonB

Peter Yao