[linux-lvm] Max storage size per system

Jesse Keating jkeating at pogolinux.com
Sun Mar 9 20:09:01 UTC 2003

On Friday 07 March 2003 06:20, Stephan Austermuehle uttered:
> Well, iSCSI was developed and pushed by some networking guys with
> Ethernet in mind to get into the storage market without developing know
> how for a really efficient data link. So iSCSI has to handle lots of
> overhead: SCSI commands are encapsulated in IP, IP is encapuslated in
> Ethernet. This leads to bad performance (latency, throughput) compared
> to a Fibre Channel connection with the same link speed. Maybe the
> performance impact will become negligible with 10G or 100G Ethernet but
> at the moment we don't have these technologies available.

This speaks nothing of HyperSCSI which is indepenant of TCP/IP and all of it's
ugly overhead.  Hyperscsi runs in raw ethernet, no TCP/IP even need be on the
wire.  Data writing w/ HyperSCSI is far faster than with NFS or iSCSI.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
Pogo Linux -- Support Tech