[linux-lvm] Problems and questions with LVM on a large raid system.

Petro petro at auctionwatch.com
Wed Mar 12 13:53:01 UTC 2003

I've got a couple of brand new boxes I'm trying to get LVM set up
properly on.

These machines have 6 200GiB drives attached to a 3ware controller card,
for a total of 1,200,000,000,000 bytes of storage.

I'm running kernel 2.4.18, with LVM version 1.0.3, and the lvmtools
version 1.0.1rc3-1 (long story, but upgrading is a path-of-last-resort).

Initially I had the drives set up as a single raid0 device, but doing a
pvcreate on it failed with a message that said something about "can't
get size".

So I set up 2 3 disk RAID0 devices, and did a vgcreate /dev/sda /dev/sdb.

Now, one question I have is:

    Does this concatenate the devices, or does it interleave the
    devices? IE do I have a stripe of stripes, or two stripes?

Since I need the disk write rate of all 6 drives, I'm *REALLY* hoping
that it's interleaved.

--
"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray,
Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right