[linux-lvm] Core questions from a LVM neophyte...

Stephen Perkins perkins at netmass.com
Wed Mar 12 15:02:07 UTC 2003

I'm interested in a block level export.  The exported space will be used
as the disk part of an Hierarchical Storage Manager that is backed up by
qualstar tape libraries.  We have several such systems and I would like
to try to consolidate the disk portions of each into a "SAN" like
environment.  At the same time, we are also looking at more customer
disk based storage.  I have several storage servers (hopefully running
Linux soon but running W2K now) that need access to large areas of
storage.  I would like to carve and export virtualized chunks for this
as well.

The main reason for the block level export is that the software we use
does not support "NAS" type network disks.  They only support "locally
attached" drives.  iSCSI would at least appear as a local SCSI disk.

For management purposes, I would like to have a single way to export
everything.  This may or may not be feasible at present.

- Steve