[linux-lvm] Problems and questions with LVM on a large raid system.

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at cox.net
Wed Mar 12 17:25:01 UTC 2003

jon+lvm at silicide.dk wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 03:59:57PM -0700, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
>
>>jon+lvm at silicide.dk wrote:
>>
>>>you're talking about raid0. You dont rebuild raid0. Not in hardware, not
>>>in software.
>>
>>OK, I missed that extremely important and very obvious point :-)
>

> thought so. Anyway, why would it take longer time to rebuild the
> array using software rather than hardware raid? It's still the
> same ammount of data needed to be copied.

Right, but a kernel oops doesn't cause an array rebuild to be necessary if
you're using a 3ware or similar RAID card. The only thing that would cause a
rebuild would be a drive failure or a power failure (which is of course easy to
protect against).

The software code (which I've been using for quite a while) needs to rebuild any
time the array is not shut down cleanly, which can happen for a number of reasons.