[linux-lvm] Snapshot creating problem

Barry, Christopher cbarry at infiniconsys.com
Mon Mar 17 12:38:01 UTC 2003

Oh - sorry for the omission:

LVM version: 1.95.15
Library version 0.96.07-ioctl-cvs
driver version: 1.0.8

--
Christopher Barry
Manager of Information Systems
InfiniCon Systems
http://www.infiniconsys.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Barry, Christopher
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2003 1:21 PM
To: Lvm (E-mail)
Subject: [linux-lvm] Snapshot creating problem

Hi all,
	I'm experimenting with lvm2 on a patched 2.4.20 kernel with xfs filesystem volumes on a dual 2.4GHz Xeon box.

I built a pv on a 1.8TB RAID 5 array, (/dev/sda), created a volume group (vg0), and created several logical volumes:
data 200G xfs
home 200G xfs
backup 600G xfs
installs 200G xfs

I dd'd from /dev/zero a 500MB file onto the data lv.

I then used lvcreate -s -n snaptest -c 1M -L 200G /dev/vg0/data

The command returned with the following error:
device-mapper ioctl cmd 2 failed: Invalid argument
couldn't load device 'vg0-snaptest'
logical volume snaptest created

Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong? An lvs shows it there, but it does not seem to appear in /dev/vg0/ and I cannot mount it.

Thanks,