[linux-lvm] Upgrade path

Bradley M Alexander storm at tux.org
Thu Mar 20 15:48:01 UTC 2003

Hi,

Got a quick question. I just bought a 120GB hard drive for my system. I am
currently running lvm-1.0.6, but I am also considering upgrading to lvm2.

Right now, I have the following:

    hda  Maxtor 30GB
    hdb  LG DVD ROM

    hdc  Maxtor 30GB
    hdd  LG CD-RW

    hde  WD 30GB

The 30GB drive on hde (on the on-board Promise PDC20265 controller) locks the
system when I boot with the drive connected. Not sure if it is a bad drive or
some idiosyncracy with the controller. Now I have been told that you take a
pretty severe performance hit on the controller with a drive and a CD on the
same chain. So what I am thinking i
    hda  Maxtor 30GB
    hdb  Maxtor 30GB

    hdc  WD 120GB
    hdd  WD 30GB

    hde  DVD ROM
    hdf  CD-RW

or

    hdg  CD-RW

What would be the best drive configuration and upgrade path to lvm2? I'm
particularly concerned about scattering the drives to the wind and "losing"
them to lvm or having a lot of bogus lvm data floating around that I can't
get rid of.

Thoughts?
--
--Brad