[linux-lvm] 256Gb limit problem

grobe at gmx.net grobe at gmx.net
Wed Mar 26 07:03:01 UTC 2003

> I want to do a virtual group of more than 256 GB and when i create a
> virtual group it tells me that there 's a limit to 256 Gb

Hi!

No, there is no limit in lvm or ext2 at 256GB. You just will have to
increase the
size of your physical extents. This is done when you create the volume group

(man vgcreate), the PE-size is defined with -s (as_many_MB_as_you_want).
Take a look at the manpage (man vgcreate).

My configuration (LVM on Serveraid/RAID5, reiserfs):

/home/lars # vgdisplay
--- Volume group ---
VG Name               RAID
VG Access             read/write
VG Status             available/resizable
VG #                  0
MAX LV                255
Cur LV                9
Open LV               9
MAX LV Size           1023.97 GB
Max PV                255
Cur PV                2
Act PV                2
VG Size               410.14 GB
PE Size               16.00 MB
Total PE              26249
Alloc PE / Size       25408 / 397.00 GB
Free  PE / Size       841 / 13.14 GB
VG UUID               xxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxx

So, you see, I have a physical extent size of 16MB,  and could have one a
volume of one Terabyte - if I just had enough disks ;-) You also see that I
don't
have all PEs in use, in fact, there are 13,14 GB PEs "free" (that's not the
free
space on the filesystems, but the space on the volume group not allocated
for
use by LVs). That's because I have to create Logical Volumes from time to
time
if a department here needs space for a project.

Take a look at the documentation on www.sistina.com!

CU Lars.