[linux-lvm] Debian and LVM at the begin of the installation prozess

Stefan Feeser stefan.feeser at felino.de
Sun Mar 30 05:06:02 UTC 2003

Am Samstag, 15. März 2003 23:54 schrieb Stefan Feeser:
> Hi all,
Hi all,

> I am a beginner with LVM and Debian. I would like to install debian and
> "put" the hole disks in the LVM. At my system I would like to stripe-mirror
> (RAID 10) my two disks (IDE). Because the hardware is not the newest one I
> have to do the installation with bootdisks.
>
> My question is how I can create a volume group and so on during the
> installation prozess.

After reading some HoTows, I know how you can create LVM's during the
installation process with disks with a debian system.

To work with lvm and debian on boot disks there are the following steps:

- Create a rescue.bin and a root.bin disk from 2.4 kernel. There you should
have possibilities to work with LVM
- Download a file, which is called lar1440.bin from the internet and write it
with cat lar1440.bin > /dev/fd0 to a seperate disk
- Boot your computer with the two boot disks and follow the installation menue
til the step "partitionition the disks" (with the program cfdisk)
- Create a swap and a root partition on the normal way, the rest of space of
the disk use type 8E, Linux LVM
- then switch to a second console (for example with ALT + F2)
- put the lar disk in your disk drive and type the command extdisk
- now you can work with LVM tools

Regards

Stefan