[linux-lvm] hard drive crash info please

Kai Iskratsch kai at stella.at
Thu May 8 13:29:01 UTC 2003

hi

you need lvm2 to  activate a partial volume group. if you have a backup
of your vgcfg  then you may restore your config to a new harddisk with
the lvm1 tools.
i had no actual vgcfgbackup so i needed to upgrade to lvm2 to activate
the partial vg and make a backup of all partitions that were not
affected by the crashed harddisk. then i used the vgcfgbackup on the
partial vg and edited the meadata from the backup (lvm2 saves the backup
data in human readable form) that all missing segments are put on the
replacement disc. after i restored the backup everything worked again
and i lost only the data which was on the bad disk.

kai

.