[linux-lvm] Newbie to snapshot

armani armani at codevel.com
Sun May 18 09:58:01 UTC 2003

Thanks for toby's explainations!
==
Eventually I create a new snapshot of my LV partition.
But I have another problem with the snapshot of LV.
That is how much snapshot I could create for my LV partition ?
As I know some commercial software could create 254 snapshots for one LV
such as IBM.

So I try to create another snapshot for LV by issuing the following command:

This is my first snapshot for /dev/Vol1/LV1

[root at met root]# lvcreate --size 100M -s -nsnapshot /dev/Vol1/LV1
lvcreate -- WARNING: the snapshot will be automatically disabled once it
gets full
lvcreate -- INFO: using default snapshot chunk size of 64 KB for
"/dev/Vol1/snapshot"
lvcreate -- doing automatic backup of "Vol1"
lvcreate -- logical volume "/dev/Vol1/snapshot" successfully created

I tried to create another snapshot for /dev/Vol1/LV1

[root at met root]# lvcreate --size 100M -s -nsnapshot1 /dev/Vol1/LV1
lvcreate -- WARNING: the snapshot will be automatically disabled once it
gets full
lvcreate -- INFO: using default snapshot chunk size of 64 KB for
"/dev/Vol1/snapshot1"
lvcreate -- doing automatic backup of "Vol1"
lvcreate -- logical volume "/dev/Vol1/snapshot1" successfully created

And how can I estimate the sizes and counts for them ?
Is there any rules or principles to formalize the procedures ?

> A snapshot will only capture what you have in the fs at the moment you
-- snip --
> -toby

-- Armani Liao