[linux-lvm] LVM on Mylex DAC 960 (Raid1)

grobe at gmx.de grobe at gmx.de
Fri May 23 14:05:02 UTC 2003

Hi!

I know that this is a known problem, but I didn't find the
solution so far, so I have to ask here now...

I have some machines with Mylex-controllers that are to
be used with RAID1s. As the controller supports only
6 partitions (and fo other reasons, too) I wanted to use
LVM on this. I have created a primary /boot, a /swap and
a logical partition in an extended one that became type "LVM".
I am doing all this in SuSE 8.1's installation routine (Yast).

I have choosed a VG, put the PV into it, and created LVs for
/, /usr, /var, /tmp, /home, however, when Yast is going to
execute the steps choosen before, I get a failure by pvcreate
(can't get device size of /dev/rd/c0d0p5).

I know that the Mylex raidset appears in a somehow special
device in the Linux devtree, but I am quite sure it is possible
to put LVM on top of it - now I just wonder how to do this?

Thank You, CU, Lars.