[linux-lvm] SuSE 8.1 and LVM

Gerald Catling geraldcc at optusnet.com.au
Fri May 23 23:45:02 UTC 2003

Hi once again from oz

Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 09:04:56 +0100
From: Joe Thornber <thornber at sistina.com>
To: linux-lvm at sistina.com
Subject: Re: [linux-lvm] LVM resizing

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 08:13:46AM +0000, Gerald Catling wrote:
> Istallation went well.
> However resizing goes verry badly and the article implies it is possible to
> grow and shrink  --- usr,home and data partitions.

You will have to resize the filesystem as well.

For shrinking:

i) shrink the fs
ii) lvreduce

For growing:

i) lvextend
ii) grow the fs

- Joe

Thank you Joe, but you info did not work.

All i can get is a non-booting system as a result of trying to resize
partitions.

The article in LINUXPRO  May 2003 page 15 implies that /home /var /usr and /
can be resized. Is this just wishful thinking?

My system replies to such resizing attempts by saying I need to unmount the
partitions first.

FAT chance of that. Anyone tried to umnount / recently?

Once again any info will be tried and greatfully received.

Gerald