[linux-lvm] RAID Failure Problems

Matt Schillinger mschilli at vss.fsi.com
Wed May 28 13:28:02 UTC 2003

I recently had a RAID disk failure, which, due to a firmware bug, a
second drive went down.. Anyway, the data is being rebuilt (via RAID
Controller) now. It is online, but when i do a vgscan, i now only see 2
of the 4 volumes that were setup.  I am using reiserfs on all
filesystems affected.

Anyway, for lvm, i have simply used: 'pvcreate /dev/sda' (for the
/dev/sda). In other words, I didn't fdisk and set to Linux LVM. From
what I've seen, this so far has caused no problems.  Anyway, now, when i
do a vgscan, i only see 2 of the volumes.  When I do a pvdata /dev/sda
(one of the PVs not showing up), i get what looks like corrupted
naming..

--------------------------------

[root at thor root]# pvdata /dev/sda
--- Physical volume ---
PV Name               /dev/sda
VG Name               ??м
PV Size               93.13 GB [195312500 secs] / NOT usable 2.49 GB
[LVM: 16.15 MB]
PV#                   48979801
PV Status             NOT available
Allocatable           yes (but full)