[linux-lvm] where do i find the device mapper/LVM2 documentation?

Greg Freemyer freemyer at NorcrossGroup.com
Fri May 30 12:14:02 UTC 2003

 >>  On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 10:21:27PM +0100, Joe Thornber wrote:
 >>  > On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 02:27:15PM +0200, Daniel Phillips wrote:
 >>  >
 >>  > If you're interested in writing your own targets I suggest you look at
 >>  > a couple of the trivial targets that already exist.  Such as
 >>  > dm-linear.c, dm-stripe.c.

 >>  i am planning to write my own targets as a graduate project.
 >>  My idea was encryption and possibly compression as well.
 >>  (is anyone else doing any of these targets?)

An encrypting target would be nice, but does it offer any value over an encrypting loopback device?

(I assume LVM2 is compatible with the existing loopback encrypting devices.)

A compressing target would be uniquely valuable because I don't think it can be implemented via a loopback device.

i.e. I believe a loopback device requires a 1:1 (or constant) ratio between input size and output size.

Actually, that sounds like a pretty interesting problem to try to work on.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer